Saturday, January 16, 2010

my reflection

This week I was able to spend some time with the OYE students and hear about their stories and experience. Throughout all three groups I attended and from what I can understand, there seems to be a lot of problems in schools. A lot of these students have expressed how they only attended school once a week throughout the last academic year... and for some maybe 10 or 12 times throughout the year. In addition, this one student expressed how his teacher would make him do all the teacher´s work and that is because no one supervises the teachers. Also, I was told that a lot of the times the teachers would pass their students to the next grade, just to pass them. Throughout these meetings and hearing their stories, all I can think of is this: they are not receiving quality education and they are behind by one year.

So this weekend I am going to Copan to go to Spanish school. I hope that when I do come back I will be able to understand much better while participating in these groups!

No comments: