Tuesday, January 12, 2010

my first week with OYE!

Hello! So this is my first blog entry! How exciting. Jeincy and I arrived Honduras last Monday with our social work professor, Mary Clay. We have been here for a week already and it has gone by SO FAST. Mary Clay stayed in Honduras from Monday to Friday. I am so glad she came to drop us off here in Honduras because she helped settle us in with OYE and made sure everything was clear.. but better yet, Jeincy and I were not alone. From Monday to Friday we have been extremely busy which is good because I did not think about being home or missing home. During the first five days we visited an orphanage and a nutrition center. It was a good experience visiting these two facilities because I have never been in one. The children in the nutrition center were so adorable! Their growth development shocked me the most because some of these children appear to look very young, but in reality they are older. For example, I saw a little boy who appeared to look like he was two years old, but he is actually five years old which was surprising. After the nutrition center, we went to the orphanage. The children in the orphanage are so friendly! a lot of girls came up to me and said hello and gave me a hug and a kiss. The children in the orphanage are so welcoming and they want to get to know you, play with you, dance with you, and work on a puzzle with you. Overall, it was a great experience and I seriously cannot wait to interact and get to know these children more over time! as well as OYE!

One of the orientation activities I enjoyed a lot was Iron Chef! That was really fun. I was teamed with Mary Clay, Javi, and Sandra.. Our team won! We each had 100 Lempiras to spend and it was difficult finding food spending no more than 100, so it was challenging! I also enjoyed going to the ¨country side¨of Honduras to visit with a student and her family. We rode a horse and we all got a tan because it was so hot that day. We also went inside a school which is comprised of only 4 classrooms and I believe only 2 teachers.

El Progreso is a wonderful city. I am loving it so far even though it has been somewhat cold during the day and even colder at night! Every family home I have entered has been extremely friendly, welcoming, and very giving. Once we enter a home they offer us pepsi, they give us fruit, and some even cook for us! Also, they always greet you with a hug and a kiss. They are all so sweet. In addition, the OYE staff is an amazing group of people. They are also very welcoming and I know for sure I am in good hands. I can´t wait to spend more time with them and get to know them. I just need to work on my spanish!!

I am happy and excited to continue blogging about my experience here in Honduras for the next 4 months. So, stay tuned for more! :)

No comments: