Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Volunteer's First Weekend with OYE

My name is Reto. I'm 19 years old and I arrived in El Progreso three days ago from Switzerland. I'm staying here for 2 months and I'm work as a volunteer for OYE. In the next 2 months, I will write some posts for this blog. I hope this blog will give you a view of life as an OYE volunteer...


In the two days I've been here, I have had a lot of new and interesting experiences. I saw the beautiful beach, an impressive waterfall, local musicians and a lot more. But one by one...

On Friday night, I arrived at the airport of San Pedro Sula, where Erin, the volunteer coordinator, picked me up. I was quite nervous before I got here. A foreign country, a different culture and no one you know personally, of course you've got doubts. But Erin was so friendly and outgoing, I felt immediately right at home. And in the same way it continued. Everybody gave me a cordial welcome. Thanks a lot to everyone!! So if someone out there is interested in coming to El Progreso, don't worry, you'll be in good hands.

On Saturday, we went to the beach in Tela, a beautiful place on the northern coast of Honduras. We enjoyed the water and the sun. Well, honestly, I really had to cope with the sun and the heat. But with everyday, it goes better. After the afternoon at the beach, we went to a pub in San Pedro Sula called Klein Bohemia where they were playing live music.

On Sunday, we got up early because it is a two hour drive to the waterfall near Lago Yojoa. When we arrived there, I was filled with wonder. The nature was just incredibly beautiful. The waterfall and the diffrent trees and plants, it was amazing. Then we took a guided tour into the waterfall. It was a mix of swimming, diving and climbing. It was a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying the beauty of Honduras!


Of course there's also work to do and so this afteroon, I will go to COPPROME to help the kids do their homework.

How this goes and what I'm doing the next days you can read in my next blog post...

Hasta luego, Reto

No comments: