Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Three Students Complete OYE Internships

DeAngela Alexander (Left), María Suyapa Reyes (Center), and Amy Williamson (Right)

Many thanks to DeAngela Alexander, María Suyapa Reyes, and Amy Williamson for their time and hard work as OYE interns. Read below for some thoughts the interns have left about their internship and time in Honduras.

"Some of the rewarding experiences that I gained while interning and living in Honduras were meeting so many inspiring and admirable Hondurans, becoming a part and truly embracing another culture, and working for an Organization that affects true change in the lives of Honduran youth. OYE is an organization that empowers youth to make changes in their lives and in the lives of their families and communities. I had the privilege of witnessing this first hand, and I will never forget how resilient and strong these Honduran youth are." -DeAngela Alexander, Mary Baldwin College Social Work Intern
"I feel so welcomed at all times. The people here are super friendly in a way you don't see in many places in America. Coming here I have learned so much about who I am. I have learned that I can live in a developing country and survive, people are willing to help you if you ask, and that patience really is a virtue. When I stepped off the plane, I was second guessing the decision and I honestly did not think I could live here. I hadn’t given the country a chance yet, and I was only judging by what I saw immediately around me. After 3 months of living it, breathing it in, seeing it, Honduras really is an amazing place and I can’t wait to come back!" -Amy Williamson, Mary Baldwin College Social Work Intern
"I'm done! I've loved my experience at OYE and working with the staff. My favorite thing at OYE has simply been sharing time with everyone and getting to make new friends. I've also enjoyed getting to know much more about the organization. It's not just about coming to OYE once every Saturday but spending each day year. That's how you can get an idea about what's going on. One can choose to give back or not, and I think you get to learn a lot just be being at OYE." -María Suyapa Reyes, UNITEC Intern

No comments: