Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Volunteering in Honduras





I have been volunteering for OYE Honduras now for a little over a month now. I have completely settled into living in EL Progreso and have come to enjoy the life style in Honduras. I quickly adjusted to the heat which is a blessing coming from the snow filled winter of Virginia, and I have come to love the local cuisine. My favorite foods have been baleadas (con queso, fijoles, pollo y aguacate) as well as the fresh pineapple served on the streets. The first weeks of my stay were hectic as I had to quickly adjust to the quick speaking locals and learn how to navigate the streets of Progreso that have no street names. As I slowly I adjusted to life here I began to focus more on my service project and meeting the scholarship students (becados) at OYE. Some highlights of my time here so far have been playing futbol and volleyball with the becados. Sports provided a great way to get to know the students and interact with them despite the language barrier. We played some really good games with the kids at the Canchita (mini soccer field) which prompted a friendly but intense Hondurans vs Americans rivalry.



-Bart McIntosh


No comments: