- Over half (62%) are young women
- Twelve are attending various universities in the El Progreso area
- Thirty-eight are middle and high school students
- They range in ages 11 to 31
- A large percentage of the students come from single parent households
- Four students were raised in a local orphanage, COPPROME
- All of the students are enthusiastic about their studies and making a difference in their community
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
OYE begins the 2008 Scholarship Program
The 2008 OYE Scholarship Program is officially underway. Let me catch you up to date.
In November 2007, OYE received 155 applications for only 50 places in the Scholarship Program. Our selection committee interviewed 80 potential scholarship candidates in December and on January 17th we completed our last home visit.
The 50 students who were selected to participate in the program deserve to be celebrated. Thus, on Saturday, January 26, 2008, OYE staff, the grand recipients, friends, and family members gathered at a local restaurant in El Progreso to recognize their accomplishments.
I'll be writing back every week to tell you what it is like to be part of the OYE Scholarship Program. So check back frequently and feel free to share your thoughts and comments.